Summers are busy!! And some days you just want to slather on some sunscreen, slip into your swim suit and run out to enjoy that beautiful sunshine! Our little guy is a notorious early riser to the point that my internal clock now wakes me up a couple minutes before I hear his screeecchh the moment that sun rises! While our daughter loovvesss her sleep and some days doesn’t roll out until 9:00am people!! NINE!! Ohhh what I would give to remember that well rested feeling.. So with two different sleep schedules, come 9:00am we’ve been raring to start our day and muffins seem to be the best option for our hectic mornings and perfect for on-the-go breakfasts!
These muffins are super moist and not too sweet. Gives you a chance to sneak in some extra goodness into your little one’s diets and are perfect for make ahead and freeze snacks. We prefer mini-muffins just because they’re easier for little hands to manage and fit well in most storage containers.
Makes 12 muffins/24 mini-muffins
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 c. apple sauce
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 c. rolled oats
- 1 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees celsius and line or grease your muffin tins.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl and whisk in the apple sauce, honey, vanilla and egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly stir in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.. be sure not to over mix!
- Gently fold in the blueberries and walnuts if you so wish to use them.
- Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes or until toothpick in the centre comes out clean. For mini-muffins bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from muffin tin and allow to cool. Enjoy!
If you’re cherry crazy like us be sure to give my childhood favourite cherry streusel muffins a go! The sugary crumble on top takes them to a whole other level! They’re a MUST TRY!!
What are some of your favourite on-the-go breakfasts!? We’re always on the hunt for new, creative ideas!