It’s that time of year!! We’re in the thick of the dreaded cold and flu season. It’s so tough seeing your little ones struggle, our house hold is unfortunately under attack and it has taken 3 of the 4 of us. Sleepless nights, no appetite, and cranky moods have been our last few days and the few nibbles I could get from them are usually only something sweet. Little miss and I love to bake together and it’s been awhile.. we had to take a good break after the chaos of the holidays, but I figured we were long over do for something scrumptious and homemade so rummaging through the fridge I went! We’ve also been on and off with picky eating, not wanting to at least try a bite and sticking to the same handful of items, so I was hoping by getting her input and making something together she’d be more likely to at least give them a try..
After gathering up our ingredients we decided on a carrot-apple-ginger muffin! And added a few additional immune boosting ingredients like greek yogurt, oats, nuts and a good handful of ground flax seed! I had to step out for some errands after our first batch was done. I came home to find nearly half the tin missing, immediately thinking it was my husband… but I was wrong!! Little miss had scarfed down 6 of the missing muffins and now 2 hours later we’re down to a handful left!! For something so simple and CLEARLY toddler approved I thought best to share this quick muffin recipe that’s high in fibre, vitamins and minerals to help their little bodies fight off those icky germs!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 apples (grated or pureed)
- 4 small carrots (grated or pureed)
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Celsius and either grease or line your muffin tin of choice (we made mini muffins).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, oats, ground flax, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon until well combine. We skipped the nuts for a school approved snack.
- In a separate bowl, mix grated apple, carrots, ginger, greek yogurt, milk, eggs, vanilla and maple syrup if you wish and whisk together.
- Slowly pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix, but be sure not to over mix!
- Divide your mixture into your muffin tins, about 2/3 full in each muffin cup and bake for 12-15 mins for mini muffins and 18-20 mins for a standard muffin tin. You’ll know they’re ready when they’re slightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from tray and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare for them to be devoured!! Enjoy!
Alright, mama’s let’s hear your tips!! What are some of your family’s rituals in fighting off the cold and flu season!? Comment below and share your wisdom with us!