I have a killer sweet tooth. I’m positive it’s hereditary, because both my mom and sister suffer from the same condition. Hearing the words chocolate, ice cream, doughnuts, pie… you catch my drift. I must have it! The other night I “jokingly” asked my husband if he knew of a service that delivered ice cream, because well.. that was all I could think about! And with his side eye look I knew he understood what I meant, but he wasn’t having it. Darn. LOL! So to the internet I took, looking for a quick and easy sweet recipe that was moderately better for me to eat then said items above and a bonus a great snack to refuel my family on the go!
I clearly didn’t want to run out for ingredients so I just took a couple ideas from a few different recipes, threw in whatever was in the pantry and came up with my own little power ball. I find these kind of recipes are great for that fact that I base what I use strictly with what I have in the house. You can use any kind of nut butters your family loves, all one kind or two different. If you have protein powder I find it to be a great addition, I think I almost prefer it! You can also stick these in the freezer if you want to double up the batch and take them out as you need!
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/4 cup flax seed or flax seed meal
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: For an extra boost 1 tbsp of your favourite protein powder
- In a food processor (if you prefer a less chunky mixture) or by hand mix together the oats, flax seed, chia seeds, coconut, cinnamon and the protein powder.
- In a bowl, mix together the nut butters, honey, and vanilla and stir.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the food processor with dry mixture.
- Once thoroughly combined, add your chocolate chips and give them a quick pulse or stir until well combined.
- Take out the mixture and roll into approximately 1 inch balls. If you find the mixture to be too wet, stick it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so to harden and continue rolling the mixture.
- Keep your little bites in the fridge until ready to eat and enjoy!
Voila! A super yummy treat your family can grab on the way out the door and to give you that extra boost through those mid-day slumps. I can’t wait to hear what you think!