I love me some quick and easy recipes, especially ones with limited dishes. Buuuttt I tend to lean towards heavier carbed meals just because it is easy and I know the kids will eat it. Coming from a more European upbringing, I also love me some heat and spice and have always enjoyed trying out different ethnic foods and recreating it myself! So one day, when I was craving to order-in from my favourrrite Thai restaurant with all my might, I fought back the urge and tried to make something similar with what I had in the fridge. The first couple of times, it was okay, nothing to rave about, but now.. I think I have it!!
So whilst I was preparing this for dinner the other night, I thought.. I need to stop eyeballing this recipe, actually write it down and share it with you! Because it’s that good!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cups veggies of your choice, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Start by bringing 2 cups of water to a boil, add the rinsed quinoa, cover and cook on low heat. Allow to steam for 12-15 minutes. You can easily make this recipe with some rice or even pasta if that’s what your little one’s prefer.
- On medium heat, drizzle olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion, garlic, fresh ginger and saute for 5 minutes or until onion is slightly translucent.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, soya sauce, curry powder, cayenne and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined and bring down to a simmer.
- Mix in your choice of vegetables. This go around, I used cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes and a couple handfuls of spinach, but feel free to use whatever you have in your fridge!
- Cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Taste test and adjust flavour as needed.
- Fluff the quinoa and serve with the coconut curry and vegetable mixture. And there’s dinner and a BONUS under 30 minutes!
Sooo what do you think!? I can promise that it’ll be a new household fave!! Would love to hear about some of your family’s quick and easy dinner recipes! Let me know in the comments below!