I love me some quick and easy recipes, especially ones with limited dishes. Buuuttt I tend to lean towards heavier carbed meals just because it is easy and I know the kids will eat it. Coming from a more European upbringing, I also love me some heat and spice and have always enjoyed trying out different ethnic foods and recreating it myself! So one day, when I was craving to order-in from my favourrrite Thai restaurant with all my might, I fought back the urge and tried to make something similar with what I had in the fridge. The first couple of times, it was okay, nothing to rave about, but now.. I think I have it!!
So whilst I was preparing this for dinner the other night, I thought.. I need to stop eyeballing this recipe, actually write it down and share it with you! Because it’s that good!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cups veggies of your choice, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 14 oz. can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- Start by bringing 2 cups of water to a boil, add the rinsed quinoa, cover and cook on low heat. Allow to steam for 12-15 minutes. You can easily make this recipe with some rice or even pasta if that’s what your little one’s prefer.
- On medium heat, drizzle olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion, garlic, fresh ginger and saute for 5 minutes or until onion is slightly translucent.
- Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, soya sauce, curry powder, cayenne and salt and pepper. Stir until well combined and bring down to a simmer.
- Mix in your choice of vegetables. This go around, I used cauliflower, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes and a couple handfuls of spinach, but feel free to use whatever you have in your fridge!
- Cover and steam for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Taste test and adjust flavour as needed.
- Fluff the quinoa and serve with the coconut curry and vegetable mixture. And there’s dinner and a BONUS under 30 minutes!
Sooo what do you think!? I can promise that it’ll be a new household fave!! Would love to hear about some of your family’s quick and easy dinner recipes! Let me know in the comments below!
Are you following us on social media!? You can find us here: