Isn’t fall just the BEST!! The chilly air, the golden leaves, the cozy sweaters, and comfy nights in, the red wine.. ohh the wine! Fall is such a relaxing time and much needed after the hustle and bustle of summer, to then settle back into the swing of school. The weather here in Ontario has remained to be stickin’ hot and humid.. so I’ve desperately been craving some cooler temperatures and to finally layer up and soak in all things pumpkin spiced!
Never did I think this day would come, but here I am.. ready for yah! This summer has brought on a lot of changes for us! Packing up and leaving Vancouver was tough, but we quickly found ourselves settled into our new summer home in the Okanagan!! If last minute changes came into play, I think it’s safe to say we were certainly open to staying and extra week.. or two! Continue reading “Bring it on, Fall!”
It’s a lot of work to plan and prepare meals for your family. Let’s be honest.. our kids are always hungry, so having their favourites on hand, prepared ahead of time can only make our life that much easier! Right!!? Am I organized and prepared all the time.. ahhh NOOO!! I feel like I’m constantly preparing meals and cleaning up and some days I’m just over it! At a bare minimum though, I try to keep our pantry well-stocked with the essentials, so that I can quickly whip up something even if it’s just PB&J for dinner! Continue reading “Simple Steps to Family Meal Prep”
This recipe has become a family All. TIME. FAVOURITE!!! Grab your keys, your wallet and your kids because you’re going to want to make this for tonight’s dinner! Ever since visiting Europe in 2012 my hubby has been obsessed over creating the perfect, authentic pizza crust and you guys.. I think he has finally NAILED IT!! Now he will argue this recipe can only be created by weight as he hasn’t found consistent results measuring in cups, buuuttt shhh don’t tell him.. I’ve listed it down below for you anyways, incase you aren’t crazy pizza obsessed (yet.. ) and don’t own a scale.
I highly recommend leaving yourself with plenty of time to make the dough and allowing it to rise for at least 8+ hours. We typically make the dough in the morning, if not the night before, along with our own sauce and let that simmer throughout the day, so come dinner we just need to chop up our toppings, mix up a leafy salad and start the process of creating our own pizzas!
Makes 2-4 pizzas
- 500g Tipo 00 Flour (3 c.)
- 300g water (1 1/4 c.)
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 tsp. yeast
- Cornmeal (for sprinkling on the pizza stone)
- Put the flour, salt and yeast in a mixing bowl of a stand mixer. If you do not have a stand mixer with a dough hook you can most certainly knead the dough by hand.
- Add the water and mix on low for about 10-12 minutes. If the dough does not come together add a little more water to the mixture. The texture of the dough should be smooth and when stretching out the dough it should hold together well.
- Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and set aside for a minimum 2 hours, but ideally 8+ hours until bubbly and has doubled in size.
- Once the dough is ready, preheat the oven or bbq to 500F (as high as it will go) and preheat a pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Divide the dough into 2-4 pieces and on a well floured surface coat the dough and with your fingers shape the dough into a pizza crust.
- Either remove the preheated pizza stone from heat or if you have one on a pizza peel, sprinkle with about 1/2 tablespoon of cornmeal and place your dough on the pizza stone.
- At this point you’ve hopefully thought about which toppings you would like, sprinkle a handful of your favourite cheese and into the oven or bbq.
- Bake until the crust is browned and cheese is bubbling hot. Remove from heat, serve and repeat the same steps with your remaining dough.
Notes: This pizza crust is thin, so try to resist piling on too many toppings.. in this case less is more! We have found the best results in using a bbq, but whichever way you choose to bake your pizza make sure your pizza stone is as hot as possible!!
I really hope you will give this recipe a try! It’s honestly one of our favourite things to make as a family especially in the summer months because, no one likes making dinner indoors when you could be out enjoying that beautiful sunshine!
Leave us a comment below and let us know what you think!
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links which means that if you click on a link and make a purchase I may receive a small commission. All opinions are 100% my own.
I can’t even believe I am writing this post, but here we are!! I’m determined to be nothing, but happy and excited for our little girl as she graduates from preschool to kindergarten.. and maybe a little nostalgic too. They grow up so quickly!! (queue the ugly cry!!) Continue reading “Emma Graduates!!”